Heroes On Horses
Healing Through Riding
In addition to Equestrians With Disabilities, the Foundation also promotes classes in which riders who are disabled veterans or active duty “wounded warriors” and participate in PATH Intl. Equine Services for Heroes or have a Department of Veteran Affairs disability rating are eligible to compete, called Heroes On Horses.
Veterans in PATH Int. Equine Services programs are invited to participate in the NSBA World Championship Show “Heroes on Horses” competition.
- Riders must be disabled veterans or active duty “wounded warriors”, who are participating in PATH Intl. Equine Services for Heroes programs, or have a Department of Veterans Affairs disability rating.
- The individuals’ PATH facilities will be responsible for verifying the eligibility of riders participating in Equine Services for Heroes programs.
- For Disabled Veterans who do not participate in a therapeutic riding program, please submit the Department of Veteran Affairs letter recording the dates of service, the Service-connected Disability Rating and the date it was awarded. Please black out all other personal information included in the letter, such as social security number and monthly award.
- Horses are not required to be registered or owned by the rider or facility. If the veteran is unable to have a horse transported to Tulsa for the Heroes on Horses competition, several Therapeutic Riding Centers have offered to provide horses for those who need them.
- A rider may not show in any youth, amateur or open categories while showing in the Equestrians With Disabilities classes. An exhibitor may show in only one of the Equestrians With Disabilities/Heroes On Horses categories; Independent or Supported. If a rider's condition deteriorates so that the rider can no longer ride as an independent rider, and now needs support, this must be documented by the physician and, if participating in a therapeutic riding program, the certified PATH instructor.
Sponsor A Rider
The NSBA Foundation provides support for riders participating in the Equestrians With Disabilities, and the Veteran Heroes on Horses programs, by assisting in funding their World Championship Experience. Through the "90 Riders In 90 Days" campaign, the Foundation is seeking 90 sponsors for 90 Equestrians With Disabilities and Heroes on Horses exhibitors .Learn more