Tomorrows Horsemen is a two-year educational program created to help emerging professionals trainers in the horse industry develop the skills they need to become successful in their training operations. Funded as a special project of the NSBA Foundation, Tomorrows Horsemen would not be possible without the contribution from the Mary F. Atkinson Family Charitable Trust.
The goal of Tomorrows Horsemen is to protect the future of the equine industry by teaching practical business applications that will result in long-term financial stability for equine professionals, their families, and their businesses. Over the two-year curriculum, participants receive networking, mentorship and information from a variety of industry professionals in the fields of business, leadership and communication. From learning how to use generally accepted accounting principles, to looking at trends in the business, to setting short-term and long-ten goals and exploring customer relations; participating professionals cultivate the business skills they need to maintain financial stability long into the future.
The Tomorrow's Horseman project seeks to strengthen the future of the equine industry by working directly with individual emerging trainers, developing the skills to provide for their futures. Working with a series of professionals, experts, and specialists, participants will develop their knowledge in the fields of business, leadership, and communication. Through participation in this two-year program individuals will improve their business acumen, network, and lay the groundwork for long-term financial stability for themselves, their families, and their businesses. Participants in the Tomorrows Horsemen program will have the opportunity to cultivate the skills they already possess, while gaining new resources to broaden their contributions to the industry as a whole.
Tomorrows Horsemen provides a specialized curriculum that will help participants learn the 'business side' of their programs. The NSBA program will strengthen the business practices of equine trainers in specific ways:
- Financial planning, budgeting and overall fiscal responsibility
- Business planning, strategic development and positive managerial practices
- Insurance contracts and employer responsibilities
- Customer service and communication
Participants receive instruction over the course of two years that combines face-to-face classes, web-based one-on-one instruction and phone calls as they learn from professionals in a variety of fields.
- Participants attend a series two-day, two-night workshops throughout the two-year course
- Expenses covered by the NSBA Foundation include travel, lodging, meals and course materials
- Lecture and interactive discussion format
- Interaction with business and industry experts
The Tomorrows Horsemen program is proud to honor the inaugural graduating class at the 2021 NSBA General Membership Meeting in Las Vegas, Nevada on December 3, 2021. These individuals have continually challenged themselves the past two years to grow as individuals and cultivate an environment for professional success.
Pilot Point, Texas
Applications for the 2021-2023 class of the Tomorrows Horsemen program are currently closed.
The following is required for participation in the Tomorrows Horsemen program:
- NSBA Member in good standing
- 21 – 35 years of age
- Open rider/industry professional
- Operating as sole proprietor
- Have access to laptop/computer and functional internet connection
- Application must be filled out in its entirety
- Three letters of recommendation submitted directly to the NSBA office by November 1st, 2021, from the following:
- NSBA member
- NSBA professional
- Character reference